Friday, August 31, 2007

The tooth fairy came to visit me

I got visited by the tooth fairy. When I got up this morning I was greeted with this note and money under my pillow. I never thought the tooth fairy would have any reason to visit me since I'm no longer a kid who is losing my teeth. Or am I?

Okay, I haven't really talked about this because I've had a miserable summer. In April I started getting TMJ on my left side. I would wake up with a sore jaw from grinding my teeth during the night. From April on I would go into the dentist and explain how much pain I was in and how I needed help. After 7 x-rays they couldn't find anything wrong with my teeth. So, after a really bad episode where I couldn't get out of bed for several days the dentist brought me in and numbed my mouth so I could function again. Then he called the Endonosist and got me in the next day. The Endonosist was baffled by my intense pain and was getting ready to send me home when we he tried one more x-ray of my teeth (he took one at the beginning of the appointment). On that x-ray he found a crack in my tooth (it is hard to find cracks in teeth). So, that was my answer to my pain.

He scheduled to do a root canal but explained that if the tooth was too cracked he would stop and I would have to have the tooth pulled. :( So, I went in for my root canal. I was in a lot of pain so I was ready for some relief but during the root canal the Dr. found out that my tooth was cracked in more than one place and wasn't savable. So, he patched the tooth up and sent me home. At this point I had been on pain killers since Spring time and it was depressing knowing I was going to have to be on them longer. My Dentist called and scheduled my extraction with the Oral Surgeon. That happened yesterday. My Mom was a saint because she watched the kids while Jay took me in. She came over today and took Andrew to the gym and stayed with me all day helping me.

For my tooth extraction I had the Oral Surgeon put me under. Jay got to stay with me prior to them putting me out. He took pictures and blogged them from his cell phone. He put the pictures on the website he set up. Check it out.

Currently I look like someone slapped my cheek (it is red). Besides that I'm doing fine. I'm hoping to get a dental implant. The Dr. told me that I will come back in 3 months and they will put the implant in (drill a screw into my check bone) and then in 4 months after that they will put a cap on the implant. So, I will be 7 months without a tooth. Luckily it is my 2nd to the last tooth on my top left. It is hard to tell I'm missing a tooth.

Alright, there is my news.
Posted by Picasa


At 2:49 PM , Blogger SAHMmy Says said...

Ouch! And two more procedures to go? Wishing you well....


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home