Monday, September 10, 2007

Hot Air Balloons

Yesterday (Sunday) was a busy day for us. We got up while it was still dark outside and went to where they were launching the hot air balloons for the Eugene Celebration. Our friends, Jeremy and Sabrina, own a balloon but for the celebration they were just being grounds crew for another balloonist. We arrived in time to see the balloons get filled up. It was very neat to see and hear all the sounds that are involved in ballooning.

We went along as the "chase" crew for the balloon. It didn't fly very long before it landed in a big field next to a church. The lady who owned the balloon offered us "tethered rides" in the balloon. Samantha didn't like the noise involved but she did give it a little try. Andrew barely went in the air the first time but the second time he went up high. Maddie didn't want to try at all she just wanted to be "grounds crew". Jay could hardly wait to get into the balloon. He was like a kid in a candy store. He loved it.

Yes, I did go up because of peer pressure. I'm afraid of heights but this was a very different experience since you are standing in a basket. I wasn't at all freaked out like I thought I would be...which is a good thing since I didn't want to look like a fool.

Jeremy had just given Andrew a ride in the balloon and Maddie got brave enough to stand inside the basket for a photo. We all are holding the balloon to the ground.

One of the most amazing things about this balloon was the fact the lady who owned it had sewn the "envelope" which is the part we think of as the balloon. I can't image coming up with a design and then being able to sew it. It was so huge I would think the material would over take your house. Plus would I trust my life with something I had sewn?! Sabrina was telling me of another envelope this lady had sewn and was selling. It sounded absolutely beautiful.
After we were done with this experience we headed up to Portland for adventure that I'll blog about later. I've been trying to catch up with all my overdue blogging. :)
Posted by Picasa

3 Comments:

At 9:52 PM , Blogger Lady Dorothy said...

Hi Amy!

Didn't know you had a blog, either! ;-) Thanks for visiting mine!

My husband gave me a gift certificate for a balloon ride two birthdays ago. We still haven't done it! Everytime we think we have a spare day, the weather doesn't cooperate with us. I hope the certificate doesn't expire! LOL

 
At 9:56 PM , Blogger AMY said...

So glad you posted on your balloon experience. That balloon looks a lot like one Jeff was drawn to because of the flags that hang off the sides.

It is amazing that many of these balloons are hand made. What a project!

 
At 10:40 PM , Blogger Gombojav Tribe said...

Amy! I didn't know (or maybe didn't remember) that you had a blog! I just linked to it from the comment you left on my mom's blog!

Now I'VE got a lot of catching up to do!

:-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home